Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Prosecutors will not file criminal charges against 2 people at center of Los Angeles racism scandal -AssetLink
SafeX Pro Exchange|Prosecutors will not file criminal charges against 2 people at center of Los Angeles racism scandal
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 07:46:28
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The SafeX Pro ExchangeLos Angeles city attorney’s office said Tuesday that it does not plan to file criminal charges against two people who were investigated in connection with the unlawful recording of a racist conversation that rocked City Hall and prompted the city council president to resign after the audio was leaked in 2022.
The local prosecutors declined to file misdemeanors against the two people, a married couple, just months after the district attorney’s office announced that it would not pursue any felony charges against them.
The Associated Press is not naming the two people because they were not charged. Both previously worked at the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor and lived at a home that investigators traced to social media posts highlighting the controversial recording.
Prosecutors could not meet the burden of proof for a case, even though the district attorney’s office, in a charge-evaluation worksheet, said “the evidence indicates that a crime was committed by one or both of these individuals.”
Under California law, all parties must consent to the recording of a private conversation or phone call, otherwise the person who made the recording could face criminal and civil penalties. The state’s wiretapping statutes are among the strongest in the nation and allow the “injured party” — the person being recorded without their permission — to sue.
“After careful review, it was determined that there was insufficient evidence to meet the constitutional standard of proof,” city attorney spokesperson Ivor Pine wrote in an email to the AP on Tuesday. “Because of this, our office will not be filing criminal charges.”
The scandal was triggered by a leaked recording of crude, racist comments during a private meeting in 2021 in which four Latino Democrats plotted to expand their political power at the expense of Black voters during a realignment of council district boundaries. The recording was leaked the following year.
Council President Nury Martinez and powerful labor leader Ron Hererra resigned in disgrace. Councilman Gil Cedillo’s term ended weeks later, but Councilman Kevin de León resisted calls for his ouster — including from the White House — and he ran for reelection. He faces a runoff in November.
The meeting occurred at the headquarters of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, known locally as the “LA Fed.” The couple both worked at the LA Fed at the time.
The couple’s identities have been made public in court filings and media accounts. Bob Schwartz, an attorney for the husband, said his client is “relieved that no charges will be brought against him.”
While his client has been “adamant” from the beginning that he was not responsible for the recording, Schwartz said whoever did it “performed a great public service” for the city and acted in the tradition of whistleblowing.
An attorney for the man’s wife did not immediately respond to the AP’s request for comment late Tuesday.
No other potential suspects or persons of interest in the recording have been named by investigators or prosecutors.
Pine, in the city attorney’s office, and a spokesperson for the district attorney did not immediately return requests for comment late Tuesday to say whether anyone else had come under investigation in connection with the case.
Investigators said the recording was anonymously posted on Reddit in 2022 and that a Twitter account amplified the post. Both accounts were associated with an email account that was traced to an IP address — a numeric designation that identifies its location on the internet — and linked to the couple’s home.
Detectives recommended charging the couple with felony eavesdropping and illegal audio recording or wiretapping charges in relation to the recording of that 2021 conversation as well as another of a 2022 phone call between Herrera and a federation spokesperson, according to a charge-evaluation worksheet released by the district attorney’s office.
The district attorney declined to file felony charges earlier this year and referred the case to the city attorney’s office for possible misdemeanors.
Cedillo and de León have separate pending lawsuits against the couple.
The district attorney’s charge-evaluation worksheet notes that both people had “similar motives to carry out the offense,” but it does not detail the alleged motives. Prosecutors wrote that the evidence indicates either person, or both, made the recording.
“However, it is unclear how the unlawful recordings took place, the device used to do so, or who uploaded the recordings online and created the anonymous accounts on Reddit, Twitter, and Gmail,” the worksheet states.
veryGood! (52832)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- 'It Ends with Us' trailer: Blake Lively falls in love in Colleen Hoover novel adaptation
- A pair of late 3-putts sent Tiger Woods to a sluggish 1-over start at the PGA Championship
- Ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker wins court fight over release of text messages
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- The number of child migrants arriving in an Italian city has more than doubled, a report says
- Man convicted of murder in Detroit teen’s death despite body still missing in landfill
- Human rights group urges Thailand to stop forcing dissidents to return home
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Billie Eilish embraces sex, love and heartbreak with candor on new album. Here's the best song.
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Blinken’s Kyiv song choice raises eyebrows as Ukraine fights fierce Russian attacks
- Apple Music 100 Best Albums include Tupac, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix: See entries 70-61
- New Jersey overall gambling revenue up 10.4% in April, but in-person casino winnings were down
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Sculpture of the late Rev. Billy Graham unveiled at US Capitol
- Bridge between Galveston and Pelican Island remains closed after barge crash
- The 'digital guillotine' and why TikTok is blocking big name celebrities
Recommendation
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Atlanta officer charged with killing his Lyft driver
NRA kicks off annual meeting as board considers successor to longtime leader Wayne LaPierre
Man arrested in 1989 killing of 78-year-old Pennsylvania woman who fought her attacker
Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
Harris reports Beyoncé tickets from the singer as White House releases financial disclosures
Clean Energy Is Driving ‘a New Era in American Manufacturing’ Across the Midwest
Philadelphia still the 6th-biggest U.S. city, but San Antonio catching up, census data shows